Last modified on 02/25/2018
LawCarta ("the Company") respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through compliance with this policy.
This policy applies to the information we collect:
- On this Website.
- In e-mail, text, and other electronic correspondence between you and this Website, Company, or other users of the Website or Company’s Products regarding the Website or Company’s Products
It does not apply to the following:
- Information the Company collects offline or through any other means not enumerated above, including information collected on any other website operated by the Company or any third party; or
- Information collected by any third party, including any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from the Website.
Privacy of Children
Our Website is not intended for children, nor is it marketed towards children. No one under the age of 13 may provide any personal information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not register on the Website, make any purchases through the Website, use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Website, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, or any screen name or user name. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us by following the “Contact Us” link found at the bottom of this page.
YOU MUST BE EIGHTEEN (18) YEARS OR OLDER TO ACCESS THE WEBSITE. IF YOU ARE UNDER EIGHTEEN YEARS OF AGE, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO ACCESS THE WEBSITE FOR ANY REASON. DUE TO THE AGE RESTRICTION ON THE USE OF THE WEBSITE, NO INFORMATION OBTAINED BY THE WEBSITE FALLS WITHIN CHILDREN’S ONLINE PRIVACY PROTECTION ACT OF 1998.
It is not necessary to become a registered member to enjoy some of the content on LawCarta, although without membership your viewing options and community participation may be limited.
Classes of Users
Privacy of User Contributions
Even if designated as private, all User Contributions (defined below) are visible to and may be used by the Company for any purpose whatsoever, provided, however, that any User Contribution designated as private shall not be publicly disclosed by the Company unless subjec to an order by a court or the information in such User Contribution becomes public through no fault of the Company.
Availability of annotations to materials on the Website:
For all classes of users, the default is that annotations will be private, unless designated as public Annotations may appear publicly under the user’s real name.
Availability of original content and modifications to materials on the Website:
Availability of information regarding revenue from the materials on the Website:
- Authors’ and Professors’ revenue made from the materials on the Website, if any, will be available only to Professors, Authors, and the Company. Note that certain materials are offered at no charge or at the Company’s out-of-pocket cost because of licensing, contractual, or other restrictions, and may generate no revenue for Company, Authors, and Professors.
Availability of information regarding usage patterns of particular materials on the Website:
- Authors can view which Professors used or adapted their books and, in some cases, the individual students who purchased the book.
- Professors can view the names of their Students.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, occupation, affiliation with an educational institution, or any other identifier associated with you online or offline ("the personal information");
- That is about you but does not identify you individually, including but not limited to (1) information related to your use of the Website, such as your page views and Website usage data; and (2) information about your computer and Internet connection, such as your browser type, the equipment you use to access our Website, and IP address.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies.
Information You Provide to Us
We do not collect your personally identifiable information unless you provide it to us. The information we collect on or through our Website may include the following, sll of which you are considered to voluntarily provide when you engage in activities that require provision of such information:
- Information that you provide by completing the forms on our Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Website or posting material. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our Website.
- When ordering products or services on the Website, you may be asked to provide a credit card number.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses) if you contact us.
- Your search queries on the Website.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, "posted") on public areas of the Website, or transmitted to other users of the Website or third parties (collectively, "User Contributions"). Your User Contributions are posted and transmitted to others at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of other users of the Website with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons. If you do not want your User Contributions to be viewed by third parties, you are advised not to make any submissions.
Depending upon the activity, some of the information we ask you to provide is identified as mandatory and some as voluntary. If you do not provide the mandatory data with respect to a particular activity, you will not be able to engage in that activity.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies.
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies (such as Google Analytics) to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns, including but not limited to:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including location data, date/time stamp, logs, clickstream data, other communication data, referring/exit pages, and any resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and Internet connection, including your Internet Protocol (IP) address, the zip code associated with your server, your operating system, Internet Service Provider (ISP), and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is largely statistical data and may include personal information but does not by itself identify a specific individual. This information is compiled and analyzed on both a personal and an aggregated basis. It helps us improve our Website and deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include but are not limited to:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as browser cookies.
We do not collect personal information automatically, but we may tie automatically collected information to your personal information that we collect through other sources or that you provide to us.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide the information.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website.
- For any other purpose we may specify when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
How We Protect Your Information
The Company uses a combination of industry standard security measures to safeguard your personal information against theft and misuse.
Our Website uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL encryption) on all web pages where personal information is required and in order to make credit card purchases you need to use an SSL-enabled browser to protect confidentiality of your personal and credit card information.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users and information that does not identify any individual without restriction.
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates. Information shared with such subsidiaries and affiliates will be handled and protected in a manner consistent with this policy.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an e-mail address to use the "e-mail a friend" feature of our Website, we will transmit the contents of that e-mail and your e-mail address to the recipients.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may sell or rent your personal information to third party marketers, but you may opt-out of such sale or rental by sending an e-mail to the Company through the “Contact Us” link at the bottom of the page to request such.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including response to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of the Company, our customers, or others.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You can review and change your personal information by logging into the Website and visiting your account profile page.
You may also send us an e-mail through the “Contact Us” link at the bottom of the page to request access to, correct, or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
Links to Other Companies' Websites
Our Website may contain links to other companies’ websites. We are not responsible for their privacy practices. We encourage you to learn about their privacy practices.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Website who are California residents to request, once a year, certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the previous calendar year. To make such a request, please contact us using the “Contact Us” link provided at the bottom of this page and please include “California Privacy Request” in the subject line, along with your name, address and email address in the body of the message.
Notice of Compliance to California Residents