Last modified on 09/20/2018
This Website is offered and available to users worldwide, regardless of their academic affiliation or lack thereof. However, access to some materials may be limited to any and all of the following: residents of the United States or any of its territories, residents of specific countries, law school students or professors, or individuals connected to academic institutions. By using this Website, you represent that you understand that if you do not meet the foregoing eligibility requirements, your access to the materials on the Website may be limited and you may use the Website at your own risk.
By using this Website, you represent and warrant that you are of legal age to form a binding contract with the Company.
Classes of Users
If you are an Author (meaning that you authored some casebook available on the Website), you may interact with other users and make annotations to the works on the Website. You may also get paid or make modifications to the works of the Website, subject to separate agreements with or authorization from the Company. You will be able to see which Professors use your book and see how much money Authors make. You may also fall under the category of Professor if you adapt other Authors’ books for the Students in your course.
If you are a Professor (meaning that you teach at a law school or teach a law course in another type of educational institution), you may use books, adapt them for your own course’s purposes, annotate, share with your Students if they are Student users, and modify if authorized by the Company. You will be able to see which Students are using your chosen books and see the annotations made by your Students and books’ Authors.
If you are a Student (meaning that you are enrolled in law school or a law course in another type of educational institution), you may purchase books adapted by your Professors and add annotations thereto.
Accessing the Website and Account Security
We reserve the right to withdraw, suspend the operation of, or amend this Website or any service or material we provide on the Website, at our sole discretion without notice. We will not be liable if for any reason all or any part of the Website is unavailable at any time or for any period. From time to time, we may restrict access to some parts of the Website, or the entire Website, to users, including registered users, or a subset thereof.
You are responsible for:
- Making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to the Website.
If you choose a user name, a password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential, and you must not disclose it to any other person or entity. You also acknowledge that your account is personal to you and agree not to provide any other person with access to this Website or portions thereof using your user name, password, or other security information. You agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorized access to, or use of, your user name or password or any other security breach. You should use particular caution when accessing your account from a public or shared computer so that others are not able to view or record your password or other personal information.
Access to Certain Content: Fees, Billing and Shipping
Website’s users may be able to access and/or purchase certain premium content through the Website. If you choose to access such premium content, you hereby authorize the Company to collect fees, as specified at the point of purchase, by charging the credit card you provide to us as part of your account information.
All purchase requests must be submitted with an approved payment method unless otherwise stated.
If you choose to order a print copy (HARD COPY), NO CHANGES can be made neither by you or anyone authorized to use your account, you are responsible for paying the entire amount of the print job along with applicable taxes, shipping, and processing fees unless otherwise stated.
Please note that NO WORK will proceed on any print order until Tributary Publishing receives full payment.
Sales Tax is required to collect and remit sales tax in all jurisdiction that administer such tax.
All Printing Sales are final, and NO CANCELLATION or NO REFUND will be awarded due to the nature of the product.
Shipping and Processing:
Arrival dates are calculated by adding the printing turnaround time to shipping transit time.
If you are purchasing the printing expect approximately up to 7 Business days for printing and an additional 7 Business days for shipping (business days do not include Weekends and Holidays), unless expedited shipping is purchased (if available).
Please note that Tributary Publishing only ship to United States, No International Shipping.
Tributary Publishing assumes no responsibility for delay and damage caused by shipping carriers, weather, or any damage resulting from the failure to receive the product on time and or any damages cost by mishandling of the carrier.
Intellectual Property Rights
The Website and its entire contents, features, and functionality (including but not limited to all information, software, text, displays, images, video and audio, and the design, selection and arrangement thereof), are owned by the Company, its licensors or other providers of such material and are protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws. The Company owns copyright in all works provided to the Website unless otherwise specified. Any modifications to the materials on the Website, whether by Authors or Professors, will be owned by the Company, unless specifically agreed otherwise in writing.
- Your computer may temporarily store copies of such materials in RAM incidental to your accessing and viewing those materials.
- You may store files that are automatically cached by your Web browser for display enhancement purposes.
- You may print or download one copy of a reasonable number of pages of materials from the Website for your own personal, non-commercial use and not for further reproduction, publication, or distribution.
- If we provide desktop, mobile, or other applications for download, you may download a single copy to your computer or mobile device solely for your own personal non-commercial use, provided you agree to be bound by our end user license agreement for such applications.
- If we provide social media features with certain content, such as an ability to make annotations, you may take any actions enabled by such features.
- You may modify or adapt the materials on the Website if given authorization by the Company. Such authorization may be given to Professors or Authors at the Company’s discretion, and may be revoked at any time.
Company does not guarantee that any derivatives using material found on the website will be available on an on-going basis to User. For instance, in the event that underlying material used in the derivative is no longer available to Company, then Company does not guarantee that the derivative will remain available for use or access by User.
You must not:
- Modify copies of any materials from this site, unless specifically authorized.
- Use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences, or any graphics separately from the accompanying text.
- Delete or alter any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices from copies of materials from this site.
You must not access or use for any commercial purposes any part of the Website or any services or materials available through the Website.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, materials subject to Creative Commons and other “open source” licenses may allow you download multiple copies, use an unlimited number of pages, reproduce, publish, distribute, and modify works, or portions thereof, for commercial or non-commercial purposes, depending on the specific nature of the license. Such licenses may also require you to make any modifications available at no charge and may place other restrictions on the use, sale, distribution, of any modified work. We suggest you review copyright and licensing information contained within each work to determine whether the work is subject to such a license. LawCarta retains the right to change pricing and terms of conditions of any modified works made available on the Website and subject to Creative Commons and other “open source” licenses so as to confirm with the terms of such licenses.
If you wish to make any use of material on the Website other than as set out in this section, please address your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Company name, the term LawCarta, the Company logo, and all related names, logos, product and service names, designs, and slogans are trademarks of the Company and are protected by Unites States intellectual property laws. LawCarta and its licensors retain all property rights to that content. You must not use such marks without the prior written permission of the Company. All other names, logos, product and service names, designs, and slogans on this Website are the trademarks of their respective owners.
- In any way that violates any applicable federal, state, local or international law or regulation (including, without limitation, any laws regarding the export of data or software to and from the US or other countries).
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming, or attempting to exploit or harm minors by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information, or in any way otherwise.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional material including any "junk mail", "chain letter," spam" or any other similar solicitation.
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate the Company, a Company employee, another user or any other person or entity including, without limitation, by using e-mail addresses associated with any of the foregoing persons.
- To engage in any other conduct that, as determined by us, restricts or inhibits other parties’ use or enjoyment of the Website, or may harm the Company or users of the Website or expose them to liability.
Additionally, you agree not to:
- Use the Website in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, or impair the site or interfere with any other party's use of the Website, including their ability to engage in real time activities through the Website.
- Use any robot, spider or other automatic device, process or means to access the Website for any purpose, including monitoring or copying any of the material on the Website.
- Use any manual process to monitor or copy any of the material on the Website or for any other unauthorized purpose without our prior written consent.
- Use any device, software or routine that interferes with the proper working of the Website.
- Introduce any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, logic bombs or any other material, which is malicious or technologically harmful.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage or disrupt any parts of the Website, the server on which the Website is stored, or any server, computer, or database connected to the Website.
- Attack the Website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack.
- Otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Website.
The Website may contain message boards, chat rooms, personal web pages or profiles, forums, bulletin boards and other interactive features (collectively, "Interactive Services") that allow users to post, submit, publish, display or transmit to other users or other persons (hereinafter, "post") content or materials (collectively, "User Contributions") on or through the Website.
You represent and warrant that:
- You own or control all rights in and to the User Contributions and have the right to grant the license therein, under the terms set out above, to us and our licensees, successors, and assigns.
You understand and acknowledge that you, not the Company, are fully responsible for any User Contributions you submit or contribute, including full responsibility for such content’s legality, reliability, accuracy, and appropriateness.
We are not responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any User Contributions posted by you or any other user of the Website.
Monitoring and Enforcement; Termination
We have the right to:
- Remove or refuse to post any User Contributions for any or no reason at our sole discretion.
- Disclose your identity or other information about you to any third party who claims that material posted by you violates their rights, including their intellectual property rights or their right to privacy.
- Take appropriate legal action, including, without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unauthorized use of the Website.
Without limiting the foregoing, we have the right to fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or other information of anyone posting any materials on or through the Website. YOU WAIVE AND HOLD HARMLESS THE COMPANY FROM ANY CLAIMS RESULTING FROM ANY ACTION TAKEN BY THE COMPANY DURING OR AS A RESULT OF ITS INVESTIGATIONS AND FROM ANY ACTIONS TAKEN AS A CONSEQUENCE OF INVESTIGATIONS BY EITHER THE COMPANY OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.
However, we do not undertake to review all material before it is posted on the Website, and cannot ensure prompt removal of objectionable material after it has been posted. Accordingly, we assume no liability for any action or inaction regarding transmissions, communications or content provided by any user or third party. We have no liability or responsibility to anyone for performance or nonperformance of the activities described in this section.
These content standards (“the Content Standards”) apply to any and all User Contributions and use of Interactive Services. User Contributions must in their entirety comply with all applicable federal, state, local and international laws and regulations. Without limiting the foregoing, User Contributions must not:
- Contain any material, which is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory, or otherwise objectionable.
- Promote sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age.
- Infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person.
- Be likely to deceive any reasonable person.
- Advocate, promote, or assist any unlawful act or activity.
- Cause annoyance, inconvenience, or needless anxiety or be likely to upset, embarrass, alarm, or annoy any other reasonable person.
- Impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or organization.
- Involve commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes or other sales, promotions, barter, or advertising.
- Give the impression that they emanate from or are endorsed by the Company, the Website, or any other person or entity, if that is not the case.
LawCarta follows the notice and takedown procedures in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), 17 U.S.C. Section 512.
If you believe that any content on LawCarta violates your copyright, please immediately notify its operators by sending a message with the information described below through the “Contact Us” page, or write to LawCarta’s DMCA Designated Agent at:
Please use the subject "Copyright" in your message. If LawCarta's operators act in response to an infringement notice, they will make a good-faith attempt to contact the person who contributed the content using the most recent e-mail address that person provided to LawCarta.
Under the DMCA, you may be held liable for damages based on material misrepresentations in your infringement notice. You must also make a good-faith evaluation of whether the use of your content is a fair use, because fair uses are not infringing. See 17 U.S.C. Section 107 and Lenz v. Universal Music Corp., No. 13-16106 (9th Cir. Sep. 14, 2015). If you are not sure if the content you want to report infringes your copyright, you should first contact a lawyer.
The DMCA requires that all infringement notices must include all of the following:
- A signature of the copyright owner or a person authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf;
- An identification of the copyright claimed to have been infringed;
- A description of the nature and location of the material that you claim to infringe your copyright, in sufficient detail to allow LawCarta to find and positively identify that material;
- Your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
- A statement that you believe in good faith that the use of the material that you claim to infringe your copyright is not authorized by law, or by the copyright owner or such owner's agent;
- A statement, under penalty of perjury, that all of the information contained in your infringement notice is accurate;
- A statement, under penalty of perjury, that you are either the copyright owner or a person authorized to act on their behalf.
LawCarta will respond to all DMCA-compliant infringement notices, including, as required or appropriate, by removing the offending material or disabling all links to it.
All received infringement notices may be posted in full to the Lumen database at lumendatabase.org (previously known as the Chilling Effects Clearinghouse).
Reliance on Information Posted
The information presented on or through the Website is made available solely for general information purposes. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of this information. Any reliance you place on such information is strictly at your own risk. We disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by you or any other visitor to the Website, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.
This Website includes content provided by third parties, including materials provided by other users, bloggers and third-party licensors, syndicators, aggregators, and/or reporting services. All statements and/or opinions expressed in these materials, and all articles and responses to questions and other content, other than the content provided by the Company, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the person or entity providing those materials. These materials do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Company. We are not responsible, or liable to you or any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials provided by any third parties.
Changes to the Website
We may update the content of this Website from time to time, but its content is not necessarily complete or up-to-date. Any of the material on the Website may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update such material.
Information About You and Your Visits to the Website
Links from the Website
If the Website contains links to other sites or resources provided by third parties, such links are provided for your convenience only. This includes links contained in advertisements, including banner advertisements and sponsored links. We have no control over the contents of such sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you decide to access any of the third party websites linked to from this Website, you do so entirely at your own risk and you understand that you are subject to the terms and conditions of use of such websites.
Disclaimer of Warranties
You understand that we cannot and do not guarantee or warrant that files available for download from the Internet or the Website will be free of viruses or other destructive code. You are responsible for implementing sufficient procedures and checkpoints to satisfy your particular requirements for anti-virus protection and accuracy of data input and output, and for maintaining a means external to our site for any reconstruction of any lost data. WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY A DISTRIBUTED DENIAL-OF-SERVICE ATTACK, VIRUSES, OR OTHER TECHNOLOGICALLY HARMFUL MATERIAL THAT MAY INFECT YOUR COMPUTER EQUIPMENT, COMPUTER PROGRAMS, DATA, OR OTHER PROPRIETARY MATERIAL DUE TO YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR DUE TO YOUR DOWNLOADING OF ANY MATERIAL POSTED ON IT, OR ON ANY WEBSITE LINKED TO IT.
YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE, ITS CONTENT, AND ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE WEBSITE, ITS CONTENT, AND ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. NEITHER THE COMPANY NOR ANY PERSON ASSOCIATED WITH THE COMPANY MAKES ANY WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION WITH RESPECT TO THE COMPLETENESS, SECURITY, RELIABILITY, QUALITY, ACCURACY, OR AVAILABILITY OF THE WEBSITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, NEITHER THE COMPANY NOR ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH THE COMPANY REPRESENTS OR WARRANTS THAT THE WEBSITE, ITS CONTENT, OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE, ERROR-FREE, OR UNINTERRUPTED, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, THAT OUR SITE OR THE SERVER THAT MAKES IT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS, OR THAT THE WEBSITE OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE WILL OTHERWISE MEET YOUR NEEDS OR EXPECTATIONS.
THE COMPANY HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY WARRANTIES WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT WILL THE COMPANY, ITS AFFILIATES OR THEIR LICENSORS, SERVICE PROVIDERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, OFFICERS, OR DIRECTORS BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE WEBSITE, ANY WEBSITES LINKED TO IT, ANY CONTENT ON THE WEBSITE OR SUCH OTHER WEBSITES, OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR SUCH OTHER WEBSITES, INCLUDING ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY, PAIN AND SUFFERING, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, LOSS OF REVENUE, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR ANTICIPATED SAVINGS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF GOODWILL, LOSS OF DATA, AND WHETHER CAUSED BY TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF CONTRACT OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY LIABILITY WHICH CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
Waiver and Severability
Authors’ use of the Website is subject to the terms of this Agreement. However, provision of copyrighted material by Authors to the Website may be considered a separate subject matter and may be governed by additional terms as set forth in separate agreements.
For purposes of this Agreement, (a) the words "include," "includes," and "including" are deemed to be followed by the words "without limitation"; (b) the word "or" is not exclusive; and (c) the words "herein," "hereof," "hereby," "hereto," and "hereunder" refer to this Agreement as a whole.
Your Comments and Concerns
This website is operated by Tributary Publishing, Inc.
For all feedback, comments, requests for technical support, and other communications relating to the Website see the “Contact Us” link at the bottom of the page.